Parents & Carers
Ossett Academy strongly believes that students should be smartly dressed. We expect all of our students to attend wearing the academy’s uniform correctly.
Uniform checks take place on a daily basis, as students arrive at the academy, and throughout the day. Any student wearing items that do not conform to our policy will be asked to change into academy uniform or asked to go home and change (subject to parental permission).
Through consultation with staff, parents and students, we have established an Ossett Academy Mobile Phone etiquette. Unlike many other academies, we have chosen not to place a complete ban on mobile phones. Instead, we will allow students to have mobile phones switched off and in their bag during the academy day and only to be used as a tool for learning under the specific direction of a class teacher. We believe this will better allow us to safeguard students and limit their access to screen time. Where a student is seen using their mobile phone around the academy outside of our guidelines, then the phone will be confiscated and parents will be asked to collect it at their earliest convenience.
SHIRT: Plain white shirt with stiff collar for wearing with a tie, always tucked in, and all buttons fastened.
Other types of shirt NOT allowed are: non uniform polo shirts or fashion blouses
BLAZER: Plain black blazer with Academy logo to be worn at all times.
TIE: Academy Dark Purple (Yr 7-10) / Dark Grey (Yr ll) coloured tie. Ties can be traditional or clip-on and should be worn properly fastened, with top buttons on shirts fastened at all times.
SWEATER (optional): Academy Black ‘V’ necked iumper or sleeveless iumper with purple trim.
Either style jumper must not be worn instead of a Blazer. Hoodies must NOT be worn as they are not part of the uniform.
SKIRT: Plain black A-Line skirt with Academy logo of modest length, no more than 5cm above the knee or longer, and traditional style.
Skirts NOT permitted are: iersey and stretch material, shorter than 5cm above the knee. Skirts should not be rolled over at the top, or tied at the back.
TROUSERS: Traditional school trousers. Plain Black belt with standard buckle only.
Trousers NOT allowed are: chino style, cords, skinny/slim fit trousers made from stretch materials, black denim or boot cut trousers.
SHOES: Traditional low heeled black sensible shoes.
Footwear NOT allowed are: Trainers, pumps (leather or fabric e.g. Vans), platform soles, fashion boots, backless shoes or sandals.
SOCKS/TIGHTS: Plain black socks with trousers. Plain black or neutral tights with skirts.
Coloured, striped or patterned socks are NOT permitted.
HAIRSTYLES: Hairstyles should be a sensible style with colour of natural tones and shades similar to the students’ normal hair colour.
Extreme hairstyles such as Mohican, shaved and brightly coloured hair
or sharply contrasting colours are strictly prohibited.
MAKEUP: No make-up is allowed for years 7-10. Year 11 students are permitted to wear subtle
make-up. Coloured nail varnish or false nails are not allowed.
JEWELLERY: Other than one watch no other jewellery is permitted – this
includes: bracelets, necklaces, nose studs, tongue studs, eyebrow piercings and any other body piercing are NOT allowed.
Smartwatches fall under the rules for mobile devices and thus should not be worn.
MOBILE PHONES: Mobile phones should be switched off, in students bags and should not to be seen or heard in or around the academy. Headphones are prohibited in the academy. The only exception to this would be under the specific instruction of a member of staff for a learning purpose.
Physical Education/Dance Kits
The following kits are compulsory for all students in years 7 – 11. All students must adhere to the Academy rules as below:
- A note is required from a Parent/Carer explaining the reason for their child not bringing their kits to PE or Dance lessons (alternative clothing as close as possible to the correct kit may be supplied in an emergency as a temporary measure).
- The practical work in Dance/Gymnastic lessons is done in bare feet unless there is a medical reason which requires the student to work in trainers. Written confirmation from a Parent/Carer is required to support this.
- If a student is unable to take part in practical work in PE or Dance for a medical reason, written confirmation from a Parent/Carer is required to support this.
- Students will instead be given roles and responsibilities to work on during the lesson. This will require them still to bring their kit.
- All kit must be clearly labelled with students name and surname.
The following kit is compulsory for all students in Years 7 – 11 for PE or Dance. All kit must be clearly labelled with students forename and surname:
- Navy & sky blue sports polo shirt with Ossett Academy embroidered logo
- Plain navy shorts or plain black/navy sports leggings
- Plain navy sports socks
- Trainers without large ‘brand’ logos or bright colours
- Base layer skin in navy or black.
- Traditional style cuffed tracksuit bottoms or performance fit slim athletic training pants in either plain navy or black
- Navy/light blue Ossett waterproof pullover (coats with buttons and zips are not permitted due to health and safety within PE lessons)
We recommend that students should have the following items:
- A towel for alternative weather
- Gum shields & shin pads for Rugby and Hockey
- Shin pads for Football
All student must adhere to the academy rules as below:
- If a student is unable to take part in practical work in PE or Dance for a medical reason, written confirmation from a parent/carer is required to support this. Students will instead be given an alternative learning task such as officiating or analysing team performance. They will still be required to get changed into their full PE kit.
- The practical work in Dance/Gymnastic lessons is done in bare feet unless there is a medical reason which requires the student to work in trainers. Written confirmation from a parent/carer is required to support this.
- Should a student forget their PE kit, they will be expected to change into a PE kit provided by the academy for the purpose of that lesson.
- A note is required from a parent/carer explaining the reason for their child not bringing their kits to PE or Dance lessons. Should a student forget their PE kit, they will be expected to change into a PE kit provided by the academy for the purpose of that lesson.
- All kit must be clearly labelled with students’ forename and surname.
Uniform can be purchased from the following retailers:
Telephone: 01924 263030
Telephone: 01924 299820
18 Crackenedge Lane
Telephone: 01924 465510
Please note that a number of other retailers in the local area may try to sell unofficial Ossett Academy uniform. This includes supermarkets and high street shops that have a ‘school uniform’ section. Due to these circumstances, we would advise you not to buy from these retailers as the garments have not been quality assured by the Academy, and may not conform to our uniform standards.
The Box– They are currently accepting orders through Facebook and by telephone and will also extend shop opening hours so they can operate on an appointment basis to ensure social distancing and sanitisation between visits. The Box want to encourage parents to make appointments (one parent, one child only please) and any stock tried on will be quarantined for 48 hours, as per government guidance. They are confident they can deliver the uniform on time and with the very best customer service they can offer. They are also producing their own social media marketing (Tel: 01924 263030).
Dewsbury Rawcliffes– have again put social distancing measures in place, including Perspex screens, sanitising stations etc and are currently open for business. They have also had a new website designed (www.smartschoolwearcentre.co.uk) in order to facilitate orders. They’re also offering a click and collect service. (Tel: 01924 465510).
Trutex– The shop is currently open and has social distancing measures in place as well as sanitising stations. They’re also offering a click and collect service and taking telephone orders. Payment will be taken over the telephone so that parents can avoid entering the shop. They’re also offering appointments outside of their normal operating hours of 9am – 5pm – between 8.30am and 9am or 5pm to 6.30pm. (Tel: 01924 299820).
Ossett Academy Uniform Price ListCTA
Other Essential Equiptment
In order to effectively support all students to meet our ‘Standards for Success’, we ask that all students arrive to the academy prepared for learning with the following items of essential equipment:
- Pencil Case
- Purple Pen
- Black Pens
- FX83GT or FX85GT Scientific Calculator
- Re-usable Drinking Water Bottle.