Parents & Carers
Ossett Academy strongly believes that pupils should be smartly dressed. We expect all of our pupils to attend wearing the academy’s uniform correctly.
Uniform checks take place on a daily basis as pupils arrive at the academy, and throughout the day. Any pupil wearing items that do not conform to our policy will be asked to change into academy uniform or asked to go home and change (subject to parental permission).
Through consultation with staff, parents and pupils, we have established an Ossett Academy Mobile Phone etiquette. Unlike many other academies, we have chosen not to place a complete ban on mobile phones. Instead, we will allow students to have mobile phones switched off and in their bag during the academy day and only to be used as a tool for learning under the specific direction of a class teacher. We believe this will better allow us to safeguard pupils and limit their access to screen time. Where a pupil is seen using their mobile phone around the academy outside of our guidelines, then the phone will be confiscated and parents will be asked to collect it at their earliest convenience.
SHIRT: Plain white shirt with stiff collar for wearing with a tie, always tucked in, and all buttons fastened.
Other types of shirt NOT allowed are: non uniform polo shirts or fashion blouses
BLAZER: Plain black blazer with Academy logo to be worn at all times.
TIE: Academy Dark Purple (Yr 7-10) / Dark Grey (Yr ll) coloured tie. Ties can be traditional or clip-on and should be worn properly fastened, with top buttons on shirts fastened at all times.
SWEATER (optional): Academy Black ‘V’ necked iumper or sleeveless iumper with purple trim.
Either style jumper must not be worn instead of a Blazer. Hoodies must NOT be worn as they are not part of the uniform.
SKIRT: Plain black A-Line skirt with Academy logo of modest length, no more than 5cm above the knee or longer, and traditional style.
Skirts NOT permitted are: iersey and stretch material, shorter than 5cm above the knee. Skirts should not be rolled over at the top, or tied at the back.
TROUSERS: Traditional school trousers. Plain Black belt with standard buckle only.
Trousers NOT allowed are: chino style, cords, skinny/slim fit trousers made from stretch materials, black denim or boot cut trousers.
SHOES: Traditional low heeled black sensible shoes.
Footwear NOT allowed are: Trainers, pumps (leather or fabric e.g. Vans), platform soles, fashion boots, backless shoes or sandals.
SOCKS/TIGHTS: Plain black socks with trousers. Plain black or neutral tights with skirts.
Coloured, striped or patterned socks are NOT permitted.
HAIRSTYLES: Hairstyles should be a sensible style with colour of natural tones and shades similar to the pupils’ normal hair colour.
Extreme hairstyles such as Mohican, shaved and brightly coloured hair
or sharply contrasting colours are strictly prohibited.
MAKEUP: No make-up is allowed for years 7-10. Year 11 pupils are permitted to wear subtle
make-up. Coloured nail varnish or false nails are not allowed.
JEWELLERY: Other than one watch no other jewellery is permitted – this
includes: bracelets, necklaces, nose studs, tongue studs, eyebrow piercings and any other body piercing are NOT allowed.
Smartwatches fall under the rules for mobile devices and thus should not be worn.
MOBILE PHONES: Mobile phones should be switched off, in pupils bags and should not to be seen or heard in or around the academy. Headphones are prohibited in the academy. The only exception to this would be under the specific instruction of a member of staff for a learning purpose.
Physical Education/Dance Kits
The following kit is compulsory for all pupils in Years 7 – 11 for PE or Dance. All kit must be clearly labelled with pupils’ forename and surname:
- Navy & sky blue sports polo shirt with Ossett Academy embroidered logo
- Plain navy shorts or plain black/navy sports leggings
- Plain navy sports socks or plain black/white socks
- Trainers without large ‘brand’ logos or bright colours
- Base layer skin in navy or black.
- Traditional style cuffed tracksuit bottoms or performance fit slim athletic training pants in either plain navy or black
- Navy/light blue Ossett waterproof pullover (coats with buttons and zips are not permitted due to health and safety within PE lessons)
Items NOT permitted:
- Fleece jogger shorts or training pants are not permitted.
- Cycling shorts or similar styles are not permitted.
- Pupils must wear sports leggings not fashionable cotton leggings.
- Leggings with mesh panels are not permitted.
- Leggings/shorts/training pants with large logos are not permitted (a small logo can be present at the waist with no other detail on the leg).
- If pupils wish to wear their blazer around site for warmth this will be allowed.
Breaches of academy uniform standards will result in withdrawal from lessons, as per our policy.
We recommend that pupils have the following items:
- A towel for alternative weather
- Gum shields & shin pads for Rugby and Hockey
- Shin pads for Football
All pupils must adhere to the academy rules as below:
- If a pupil is unable to take part in practical work in PE or Dance for a medical reason, written confirmation from a parent/carer is required to support this. Pupils will instead be given an alternative learning task such as officiating or analysing team performance. They will still be required to get changed into their full PE kit.
- The practical work in Dance/Gymnastic lessons is done in bare feet unless there is a medical reason which requires the student to work in trainers. Written confirmation from a parent/carer is required to support this.
- Should a pupil forget their PE kit, they will be expected to change into a PE kit provided by the academy for the purpose of that lesson.
- A note is required from a parent/carer explaining the reason for their child not bringing their kits to PE or Dance lessons. Should a pupil forget their PE kit, they will be expected to change into a PE kit provided by the academy for the purpose of that lesson.
- All kit must be clearly labelled with pupils’ forename and surname.
We currently have three preferred suppliers at the academy:
The Box is a family-run business, established in 2006, located in the Seemore Shopping Parade in Ossett town centre, around the corner from the Post Office.
It stocks school uniform, school shoes and school accessories, provides a full fitting and trying on service and offers quality and value for money.
The Box is open Monday to Saturday, 9.30am to 5pm (with extended hours over Summer months) and offers an order and collect service.
Contact The Box on 01924 263030 or through Facebook @The Box Ossett.
Seemore Shopping Parade, 13 Towngate, Ossett WF5 9BL (Tel: 01924 263030)
Rawcliffes is a family-run business, established in 1910, located in Dewsbury town centre.
Rawcliffes is open 9am to 5pm on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Throughout Summer months they are also open on a Tuesday.
18a Crackenedge Ln, Dewsbury WF13 1PU (Tel: 01924 465510)
Trutex are also offering a click and collect service and taking telephone orders. Payment will be taken over telephone so that parents can avoid entering the shop if necessary. They’re also offering appointments outside their normal operating hours of 9-5, between 8.30-9 or 5-6.30pm.
79 Northgate, Wakefield WF1 3BX (Tel: 01924 299820)
Ossett Academy Uniform Price ListCTA
Other Essential Equipment
In order to effectively support all pupils to meet our ‘Standards for Success’, we ask that all pupils arrive to the academy prepared for learning with the following items of essential equipment:
- Pencil Case
- Purple Pen
- Black Pens
- FX83GT or FX85GT Scientific Calculator
- Pair of compasses
- Re-usable Drinking Water Bottle.